Thursday, January 15, 2009

Standing Outside the Fire


This is my favorite picture. That's me in the background deciding if I'm going to stand by as an observer in life or if I am going to jump in and make it happen.

In "The Alchemist", Paolo Coelho explores this struggle we all face in fulfilling our dreams and in dealing with the various faces of fear that would sabotage us along the way.

Sometimes we fear to fail. We can't bear the idea of falling short because to try and fail is much more painful than to not try at all.

"We who fight for our dream suffer far more when it doesn’t work out, because we cannot fall back on the old excuse: “Oh, well, I didn’t really want it anyway.”

Sometimes we fear the disappointment or loss (perceived or real) of those we love. It is terrifying to stand alone - even in greatness. (That's what Trish tells me anyway.)

"We are afraid of hurting those around us by abandoning everything in order to pursue our dream."

Sometimes we are afraid of success. What will be expected of us. What we will expect of ourselves.

So we don't try. We don't even really start - which guarantees that we don't succeed.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”

But if we do - when we do - we find that the fears of what might happen never seem to be as bad as we imagined.

“The fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. No heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams.”

I think there is a direct correlation between our happiness and our willingness to do what we dream to do. My life is happier when I step through the fear and just go for it. And when I don't, I am not really living at all.

"Life is not tried it is merely survived if your standing outside the fire."
Did I just quote Garth Brooks?

So in that spirit I will be completing another item on my bucket list this year. This one is a stretch and will require time and sacrifice. I am pumped.

This year I will be doing this:


And this:


And this:


And I'm sure some of this along the way:


But no matter.

This year I will be doing a backflip on a wakeboard.

How about you?

8 comments:

Camille said...

Matt, you're so great. Seriously, if you do this I'll be on the front lines screaming for your success. And then I'll get a tatoo of your face and the geological quadrants of where it took place and have it put on my right arm. That will be awesome.

All that aside, this is the year I finally lose that 20 pounds. So far, so good.

Judy Francisco said...

Wow, this is such timely advice for what I'm going through right now! In an effort to live life instead of just fear life, I stepped into the darkness this week and 1) put an offer on a house (I've been searching for 2 years but have been too afraid to take the plunge), and 2) bought a puppy (Buddy). I'm still a little nervous and trembly, but both decisions were made in faith, and I am feeling more alive! Thanks for the inspiration!

Ronda said...

I know you'll do it! Thanks for the smiles and the enlightening thoughts. I love visiting your blog. I'm so proud to be your sister.
Love to you-
Ronda

JoDee said...

Very cool Matt - Wish we could be there when it happens...we'll be cheering for you in spirit!

The Roberts Family said...

First things first, do you know how to swim?

Liz, in New York said...

I think that I get some extra credit somewhere for giving you The Alchemist. You love me, you know it.

Actually, thanks for this post. It reminded me 1)how great that book is and 2)how important that message is. My goal this year is to be motivated in all things by love instead of fear. I'm finding it's harder than I thought it would be.

Can't wait to see your success, brother.

Nicole said...

That looks scary. Are sure you are not too old for that? Good luck, be sure to take lots of pictures.

Nathan said...

Hello Matthew-san - I have found you! You could not hide forever! Hugs, Nate