Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Power of Music

As all three of my readers know, I was raised in a musical home, around talented people, who sing, dance, play instruments, record music of their own, etc. I was brought up to believe that music is not only a good thing - but a cool thing. I'm grateful that The Thing to be a part of (along with sports and all the normal stuff) at my high school was choir. I learned to read music, play piano, perform in front of others. Much to the chagrin of my dear, unenlightened wife, I travelled with an award winning show choir, singin' and dancin' - I know hard to imagine. I sang and played in a rock band, was featured on two classical albums and performed a solo in front of thousands at a world-class concert hall. I still love to sing.

Over time I have become more of a listener and less of a performer. I believe that one of the 7 technological wonders of our time is the iPod - followed closely by iTunes. Whenever I go there I feel the same thrill I get when I walk into a book store. It's like the Wonka Factory for grownups.
One reason I love music is that it has such a powerful emotional effect on me. Have you noticed how many of your happy experiences are tied to music? Romances, trips, friends, school, prison...It seems that most of life's memories can be conjured by a familiar song.

So, in honor of the power of music, I give you my top 11 musical memories in order of appearance. I'd love to hear yours as well.

1) Turn Around - You know the song about a boy and a girl growing up and moving away from home? Once, when I was "an old" 7 or 8, I had my mom sit with me in the rocking chair and sing that song to me over and over when I was feeling sad. I love her for that.

2) My Heavenly Father Loves Me - My favorite Primary song. Even now. Comforting.

3) My brother was my hero growing up. Whatever he did was cool. I remember sneaking into his room when he was gone, putting one of his Aerosmith 8-track cassettes into his player, stuffing the matchbook in underneath the cassette (you old-timers know what I'm talking about) so the sound wouldn't warp and the tape wouldn't get eaten by the monster inside the stereo. Then I'd kick back on his bed looking up at posters he had hung all over his asbestos encrusted sparkley ceiling: Peter Frampton (this actual picture), Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, BMX racers, and that famous picture of Farrah Fawcett. Good times.



4) My first purchased album:



I remember the pride I felt in 8th Grade at having "discovered" Lionel before everyone else did. Pretenders. And the first popular song I ever learned on the piano? "Hello", by Lionel. (Although that music video of him with the blind girl doing a sculpture of him was creepy. And is there a better afro/mullet than "He Who Dances On the Ceiling"? I think not.)

5) Friday Night Videos - Come on all you '80's junkies, you know what I'm talking about: Domino's pizza, jr. high sleep overs and FNV. I think there were about 10 videos out and they played them all every week. Huey Lewis (the one where he opens all those doors in the house and there's a weird movie scene going on inside); The Cars (where the lead singer is a bug flying around the bathroom); The Police (where Sting is in a circle of candles and then he cuts them all down in slow motion. That one is still pretty cool, actually; The Eurythmics (singing in the field of cows - never got it).



6) I don't know what it is, but some music really sounds good echoing through the canyons of Lake Powell. Some of my favorite memories of growing up were at Lake Powell with my friends. Favorites: U2, The Cars, Depeche Mode, Cheap Trick, and my favorite of all time...



7) In high school I sang Si Tra'i Ceppi (sp?), an Italian aria, for a state music competition and got a Superior rating from the judges. Cool and scary. Mostly cool. Before the finals, to help with the nerves, my choir director thought it would be a good idea to sing the song in front of the women's choir during class. Sounded good. Practice in front of an audience, plus 300 girls all to myself and chicks do dig the arias, am I right ladies?

One problem: 1st period class = voice not warmed up yet = voice cracked like a 7th grader going through puberty. Result: Backfire.

8) I served my mission in Guatemala so we rode the bus everywhere. You either got Mexican cantina music - which I hate - or occasionally American rock music, which I love. As you may know, missionaries don't listen to rock music as it detracts from the spirit of the mission - unless, by chance, you hear it on the bus by no fault of your own. Then you can sit back and enjoy every glorious second. So I'm on the bus with chickens, sweaty people and dust and just before our bus stop "Sacrifice" by Elton John comes on the radio. Three things: 1) I do love me some Elton John; 2) This was a new song I had never heard before; 3) I hadn't heard english, much less American music, in months. It was like a cold drink of water during a walk in the desert. Delicious.


We missed our bus stop - and the next 5 after that. 100 Fascists with guns couldn't have gotten me off that bus before my song ended. We were late to our meeting. Worth every second.

9) I serenaded Trish with "She's Got A Way" by Billy Joel at our wedding reception. One of my favorite memories of our wedding. Trish was just bawling. It was awesome. (Then I noticed other people were bawling too - and covering their ears. That made me wonder a bit...)

10) Dancing Queen - for my Maddy. Just fits.


11) Blake shares my love of rock music. He's cool like that. One day we were in the car and he started humming Steve Miller to himself. How cool is that?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you dad. YOu are my music master and i am your phsycic(however you spell that) and you adn i fight bad music and replace it with good. Some people jsut dont have a clue...you know? and in your oppinion i dont either, "Maddy, you have a horrible taste in music" blah blah blah. HAHAHA just kidding. But still we should fight crime of bad music and use our special powers to make the world a better place.AH.
Well, i can dream cant i?
LOve YOu.
Maddy,(the fun and funny one, yah thats me) :D

Anonymous said...

OH and also, i would like to publicly thank you dad for making me who i am today in the singing world. I love you so much and thank you for helping me find my talents and interests.

Liz, in New York said...

Okay, lots of thoughts. First, I remember you serenading Trish and thinking you were just about the coolest awesomest man in the world and that I would never find a man as cool as you (I did, but he refused to sing to me at my wedding...so you serenaded me instead. Didn't that work out nicely?!)

Secondly: Maddy is pretty dang funny. I hope my kids are as cool as yours.

Thirdly: I remember two things your kids did as a result of your music inspiration: A) Maddy sang "Brick house" when she was 18 months old...remember that? B) Blake used to hum "Sweet Emotion" from Aerosmith when he was like 3. Very, very cool.

Our Family said...

MATT! YAY for a new blog! You can up your readers to "4" now. I can't wait to read more about your point of view. I've ALWAYS loved how you comment on Trish's blog and how funny your comments always are. The one about the easter candy is my FAVORITE!

Anaise said...

I used to spend a lot of time with a friend whose mom always kept soft music playing in the background in their home. I always found it so peaceful and vowed I'd do the same when I had my own home. Much to my chagrin, I've found that in the craziness that is my home, I need quiet behind the noise of children. We do use music at our morning devotionals and at night to prepare us for family prayer. Music is so very powerful.

Camille said...

I knew you hated Mexicans. (#8)

Haaa just kidding. This list is one of the million reasons that I love having you for a brother. You're just cool like that.

Cade said...

I'm sorry I must have come to the wrong link. Someone told me that this was a cool MAN BLOG, so I thought I would check it out. Lionel Richie and WHAM!? This is not a Man Blog! My case is made by the proceeding entry "Why I Love Wildflowers". Does anyone know where I can find a MAN BLOG? I'm looking for something about Chainsaws, Trucks, and cussn'.

JoDee said...

Hee hee ... that last comment is kinda funny. So this was a cool entry. I learned a lot of things about you. Like that you performed on some world-famous stage? And Chad had a poster of a girl up on the wall? Music is pretty cool. I haven't gotten in to the iTunes like you but you and Brandon should play.

Karina said...

Hi. I'm Karina and I'm a dork because I'm going to tell you that when I'm pregnant I cry to the song Dancing Queen. There's something about that song that hits me deep. I know, I'm embarrassing!

Thanks for sharing the Marianne Williamson quote at the bottom of your blog. It's my very favorite quote; used to have it memorized.

Blake said...

Dad,Ilove you so much! Every time we get in the car together I ask to turn on the music that we both love.