Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Why I love sports




OK Cade. This one's for you.

So, one of the greatest experiences of my life has the been the chance to participate in competitive sports. From the time I was 7 or 8 I have played sports. Soccer then basketball (till I realized that a 5' 7" center isn't that desireable later in life), then wrestling, and football.

Here, in no necessary order, are the top 9 things I love about sports and mostly football because it is the best sport. (There is no debating this, by the way. Any attempts will fall on deaf ears.)

1 - I have a hidden aggression that can come out in sports. Where else can you launch yourself into someone at full speed with the express intent of knocking them on their head. Then, in a show of gentlemanly sportsmanship, you help pick them up off the ground but with the clear understanding that, given the opportunity, you are going to do the exact same thing to them in about...30 seconds. And the harder you hit them, the better it is (except of course for the person you just knocked unconscious). And they know all this but strangely they do it anyway, with the hope that maybe they'll get you first next time. Talk about therapy!

2 - There is no better place to learn how to win. Graciousness, humility, gratitude, feeling of accomplishment/triumph, learning to trust oneself, learning to trust others, succeeding at something difficult. It's not the winning that matters, it's what you learn from winning. Unless it's the Utes. Then winning is enough. Two years and counting...


3 - There is no better place to learn how to lose. Graciousness, sportsmanship, accountability, fairness, getting up and trying again. I still go back to the championship wrestling match I lost and am grateful for it.

4 - Learning to be a part of a team. Giving praise and credit to others, learning to recognize strengths and weaknesses in ourselves and surrounding ourselves with others who can complement us, not blaming others - even when it is their fault.

5 - Thrill of the competition. It just is cool to pit your best against anothers' best. There is no clearer challenge. And it's fun to trash talk.

6 - Getting it out of your system. Since I started coaching my son's football team I have been grateful that I played sports myself. I can relate to him and his challenges. I can understand his highs and lows. I have a degree of respect from him because I did it too. And, I don't have to live my life through him. He may be great. He may be good enough. Or he may decide to be good at something else altogether. Either way, that's ok with me (usually) since I am happy with the life I have now and with the one I already finished.

7 - Hard work. Sports is a great place to learn that any worthy goal is going to take a lot of hard work. And it will be worth it.


8 - Saturdays just fit. There is something about Saturdays in the fall, and hotdogs, and stadiums, and fans, and football that just fits. One of my simple pleasures. Like a sunset. Or prescription drugs.

9 - Brotherhood. Or sisterhood if you are a girl, or want to be. That bond created through a shared goal is a cool thing and prepares you for later experiences in life like missions, quorums, marriage, book club...

I leave you with my favorite sports quote: "If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter."

Amen.

5 comments:

. said...

I love sports, too. Totally get you right now, honey! One question though, what is a touchdown again? I keep forgetting!

The Roberts Family said...

Amen! Um, sorry about that loss last week. Your testimony ok?

Cade said...

Finally a Man blog with a Manly entry. Keep em coming Matt. Also on your list you may have omitted the elation that one feels when you beat the Utes!

JoDee said...

I'm not sure Brandon's testimony is still in-tact. He actually turned last that LOSER game off early - never been done in the history of our relationship. And he didn't insist on watching this week's.

So Fall is my favorite time of year. I think: pretty leaves crunching, apple cider, crisp morning air, pumpkins and hay rides. Brandon counts down to Fall and thinks of one thing only. Football football football. And more football. Guess its a guy thing.

Blake said...

Dad,you are so right about everything, especially the trash talking. ;)