Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Random musical awards



Things are crazy here and I'm needing some amusement. So, I present some random musical thoughts.

Here are my top 3 awards for distinguished song lyrics:

#3 - Deep Thought Award:

"I Believe the Children Are Our Future..." - (Whitney Houston - The Greatest Love of All)

Hmmmmmmm. You know, she's right! If you think about it, I guess the children really ARE our future. As opposed to the grandparents. Or the parents. Wait. I need to write that down...

#2 - Creative Lyric Award:

"Na-na-na na-na-na. Na-na-na-na-na. Na-na-na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na-na!" - (Journey - Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin')

You know the part I'm talking about, right? I count 22 successive "na's" in that phrase. That is impressive. More impressive is that they repeat that same sequence 22 times to end the song. That means we hear the sound "na" 484 blessed times in a row before it finally fades out. There is nothing sweeter than a 3 minute song that lasts 10 minutes. It makes "Chopping Broccoli" sound like a masterpiece.

The only thing missing is...more cow bell.

#1 - Grammaritarianism Award:

"Songs that she sang to me. Songs that she "brang" to me..." - (Neil Diamond - Play Me)

Come on Neil. This is a good song but please. Did you just run out of words that rhyme with "sang"? Let me help. There's bang, rang, hang, slang, Tang, twang, Michael Chang, fang, dang. Any of these would work. Am I right?

In the event that "brang" IS ever added to the dictionary here's how it would be used in a more appropriate sentence: "Sensuous up I just axed and, bam! you brang me a beer." (Foxworthy Redneck Joke)

Thank you. I'll be here all week.

7 comments:

Camille said...

More cowbell, for sure. ANd seriously, did you know I have chopping brocolli on video? SHould I send them (all my snl tapes) in a care package?

. said...

Ha! I hate that na-na-na-na song. What a waste of a good Journey song!

Judy Francisco said...

Ya think Neil Diamond is still doing clothes like that?! I went to one of his concerts, but we were sitting too far back to see what he was wearing... We shined our lights and swayed to the music, though, and it was all good... Sweet, even. You're a funny guy.

Anaise said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! :)

Blake said...

Dad, I just wanted to say that I love you and I'm glad to be your son. :) .Now, I realy got a kick out of that cowbell thing. Mom you are right about the na-na-na suff, what a waste of a song.

Nicole said...

I love chopping broccoli- and everything could use more cowbell!

Thanks for your funny posts on my blog. I look forward to them. Keep em comin'!

Sara Boulter said...

Haaaaaaa!

Also, I love Blake's comment. Where'd you come from boy? Oh, your dad...I see.