Sunday, December 21, 2008

15 Years and Counting...

This year everything is a bit upside down. I've been traveling 3 of the 4 weeks of the month and finally, today, is a day to be home. So before it gets any later, I wanted to tell my wife Happy Anniversary and here's to 15 more! And thank you for helping me to learn some important lessons about myself, life, women, kids, etc.

15 Lessons I've Learned Through Marriage:

1) There is no bad day of marriage that is worth trading in order to be single again. The reason isn't because the bad day isn't bad but because there are so many good days in between.

2) I'd rather be happy than right.

3) Being a Dad at home is better than being a boss at work.

4) I know nothing about women. How in the world can you be an active listener without coming across as fixing it? I am still missing this one.

5) The sooner I apologize, the sooner everyone is happy.

6) Never talk to a woman about her hair, her age, or her weight - even if she asks. Opinions about these things are really requests for validation.

7) This too shall pass. Except, thankfully, for my marriage, family, and faith.

8) Fighting can be healthy for marriage. Plus there's the make up...

9) Unfortunately, kids do what I do, not what I say. Crap.

10) Some of the funniest jokes happen at prayer time.

11) That saying, "It's the thought that counts" is a lie. It is much more effective to ask a woman exactly what she wants and then just give it to her.

12) Laughing is the best way to stop crying.

13) Meeting someone half way will never make for a happy marriage. There is either all or nothing.

14) The happiest word in my dictionary: home.

15) Marriage gets better with time. I wouldn't go back but I am sure looking forward to it.

Here are a few more, now that I think about it:

16) I am my best self with/because of my wife.

17) Pig tails and pony tails will get me to do anything.

18) Worrying about the future is a waste of time. Do what you can today. The rest will work itself out when it's ready.

19) I have been so blessed to be so loved by so many.

20) That saying, "Never go to bed mad"? - not always true. Going to bed mad then trying again in the morning sometimes works out much better.

21) Even after seeing me at my worst, the people who really love me stick around anyway.

22) The most important things (people actually) in my life all fit on my bed. Everything else is just stuff.

23) Seeing your son make his first great tackle is funner than making your own first great tackle.

24) The difference between being a bad dad and a good dad? Two words: I'm sorry. Two more: Try again. If that fails, one word: bribes.

NOTE: Each blog I make usually includes a corresponding music list on the sidebar. Take a look.

9 comments:

Anaise said...

#9 unfortunately true at my house, too

#10 want to hear more about this!

#11 also unfortunately true

#19 remarkable

#21 I count that as one of my daily miracles.

Cade said...

What's "make up ...."?

Anonymous said...

Amen to the bribes...you should do them more often...you know...



Love,
An amazing daughter who is just...amazing and beautiful and has the best dad ever... :D

Liz, in New York said...

I hope I'm smart like you in 15 years. In the meantime, I will suggest to my husband that he read this post so we don't take 15 more years trying to figure it all out.

Also, the song list just made me laugh out loud. Just remember, I still hold the trump card for the very best (or worst) "I can't believe I put that song on my Wedding CD" song. It would fit nicely onto your list.

Judy Francisco said...

Boy, you've learned a lot! Fast learner too. These 15 add potential to the next 15; am I right?

. said...

Wait...you're not saying you only want to be married for 15 more years, are you?

Thank you for perfecting #24.

I love you honey.

Diane said...

I had no idea you were so smart. You should teach these lessons to all men.

AD said...

Ah, you really are Dan in Real Life. I mean Matt.

This was terrific.

Angela said...

you are a very wise man. you should hang out with my husband more often!